Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brisket: easy, tender, delicious

For your next holiday weekend, try this EASY brisket recipe in the slow cooker.  Allow a full day of prep and cooking, so if you want to eat it on Sunday, start your prep late Friday night or Saturday morning.

I only cook for 2, or possibly 3 if my son shows up, so I try to keep things small and simple.

First, I bought a small lean brisket (flat), which basically means I chose a smaller piece of meat without all the fat.  However, keep in mind you need a little fat on the meat to keep it juicy. 

I was raised on brisket, we have it for holidays including Christmas and even Easter.  In Texas, brisket is as important as the traditional turkey or ham for a holiday meal. 

My mothers brisket (sorry mom) has a tendency to be dry and sometimes a little charred at times. I actually love the charred part, so thought I'd go for the charred without the burned, crusty results.  

Easy Brisket:

1. Unwrap your USDA Grade A beef brisket flat and sprinkle a little water on the top with unseasoned beef tenderizer (not too much.. just enough to cover it). Place the piece of brisket in a Ziplock baggie and place in the refrigerator for about 8 hours. 

2. Turn your slow cooker on HIGH before placing the meat in the pot.  Let the pot get HOT and then place the brisket in the cooker with the fatty side up.   Rub the fatty portion with a good steak rub (your choice of flavors). I use a very basic rub, as I love to get the real taste of the beef brisket when it's done. 

3. Allow the brisket to sizzle on the hot pot for about 30 minutes.

4. Flip the brisket over to the fatty side, continue cooking on high for another 2-3 hours. 

5. There should be a lot of liquid at the bottom of the slow cooker- drain this into a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator. 

6.  Change setting to low and cook for a good 10-12 hours or until done to your liking. 

If you've never had brisket- I prefer to have it in a non-traditional way. I am not much of a barbecue person, I like my brisket juicy, tender and flavorful without the need for any sauce.  I also like to cut it like roast and not a piece of barbecue.  

Left overs:  
Brisket is one of those meats where it is even better the next day and the next!  After you eat, if you have anything left, place the remainder in a dish, like a shallow bowl.  Take the bowl of juice you refrigerated out and pour a little on top of the brisket to keep it moist.  Refrigerate until next meal.  

Microwave to heat it back up or place back in a slow cooker on high. I just place in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of meat. 

* I cooked baked potatoes in my 2nd slow cooker as a side and added a nice spinach salad with ranch. YUM. 
     
                                             ###


No comments:

Post a Comment